Tuesday, May 20, 2014

May 20th, Dear John

     Today's prompt was to write an epistolary story.  So this is what I did.  Happy reading.

Dear John,
     Oh how I hate to write,
          Dear John!
     It seems so long since we last held each other.  Four months is a long time.  I miss you more every day.  I debated with myself whether to say anything or not, but then we promised each other the truth, always. 
     The girls stopped by last Friday and dragged me out to the movies. We had a good time, but I kept thinking how much I’d much rather be with you. 
     I have some news.  I hope that you’ll be as happy about it as I am.  See, when you were home in July, well, we made a baby, darling.  I’m so thrilled to be having your baby.  I know we wanted to wait a couple of years, but…  Well, please don’t be too mad.
Your loving wife,
Amy

Dear Amy,
     Mad?  How could I be mad?  I love you more than anything else in the world, and I am over the moon that you’re pregnant with my baby.
     As for the Dear John part, I was talking with the guys and they came up with a solution.  They’ve adopted you as part of our team, so you now have their permission to call me MAC.  Medical Artillery Choreographer.  LOL!  How’s that for a title, Amy Lou? 
     Anyway, I’m okay with you calling me that if it would make you feel better.  I love you, baby.  I live for the day that I can come home and see you and the baby.  I want to know everything.  From doctor visits to cravings.  Don’t leave out a thing. 
Your loving husband,
John, Aka MAC

Dear MAC,
     That definitely makes me feel better that I don’t have to start every letter, Dear John. 
     I was just at the doctor this morning.  I’m twenty weeks now and the baby is kicking.  The doctor asked if we wanted to know the sex, and I told him I wanted to check with you first.  I’m okay either way.
     Stay safe, John.  I love you so much.
Amy

Dear Amy,
     Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you sooner.  We’ve been laying low due to our location.  I can’t go into anymore.  I love you.  I’m sorry I can’t say much more. 
John

Dear MAC,
     Jeanie came over today.  There was an official car in the area and I was so scared.  Does it make me a bad person that all I felt was relief when they stopped at Barbara’s house?  My only thought was that I was glad that you were safe.
     I sent you a care package.  You should get it in a few days.  I made sure to send a lot of extras so that you can share what you want with the team.  Just make sure no one else looks in the white envelope.  I can feel my cheeks warming even now as I think about what’s in there.  But I wanted to share the changes that the baby is making.
     Your brother Jack has been a great help.  The nursery is all set up, and Jilly will be my Lamaze partner.  I thought maybe they could be the baby’s godparents when we have him or her christened.
     I miss you, John.  This might be silly, but I spray your cologne on the pillow beside mine just so I can pretend that you are there in bed with me.  Some days I don’t know how I’ll get through the next several months while you are stationed over there.  I pray for your safe return each night.
     I love you.
Amy

Amy,
     Your care package arrived.  All of the guys were thrilled that you remembered them.  You’ll be happy to know that I’m the only one that saw the photos.  They’re too precious to share.
     God, I miss you, Amy.  I can’t wait for the day that my tour is over and I can come home to you and the baby.  I’m glad that you have Jack and Jilly to watch over you and I think making them the godparents would be a great idea.  Have you thought anymore about names? 
     I’ve been having dreams lately about walking into our house and a little girl running toward me.  She’s laughing and I lift her in the air as I ask her how my Lilly is.  Corny, huh?
     Their making noises now and we have to start moving.  I’ll write as soon as I can.  I love you, Amy.
John

Dear John,
     Oh how I hate to write,
          Dear John,
     It’s been five years since your last letter.  Each day I hope and pray that this is the day that I will finally hear from you again. 
     Why is it everyone always has advice when you don’t want it.  They tell me to move on…  How can I do that when my heart feels like it’s been ripped out?
     I pray.  Every day.  We make the trip into town and go to the church so that we can light a candle for you and pray.  I’ve never prayed so hard for anything in my life. 
     It’s so hard going on each day without you hear.  If it weren’t for…

Dear Amy,
     I can’t tell you how sorry I am that we missed so much time.  You were what kept me fighting so I could get back to you and the life that we’d planned. 
     Each day I woke to the hellhole, my only thought was to get through it so I could see you. 
     I can’t believe that day came, and that we’ve been living our life for two years now.  I missed out on so much, but I’m here now and refuse to miss out on anymore. 
     I still remember that day when the brass brought me to you.  I saw you open the door and when the tears pooled in your eyes I wanted to run to you and sweep you up in my arms.  I wasn’t strong enough then, but we worked through it all together and now I am stronger than I’ve ever been.  You are my world.  You…and, Lilly, and now this new baby that you are giving me.  As I stand here watching you go through labor, the love in my heart grows by leaps and bounds for you.  
     I love you, Amy.  Forever and always.
Your loving husband,

John


6 comments:

  1. That was wonderful! My heart broke---but then all was well. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very tender story. I am so glad there was the sweet HEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are many real stories out there that don't end happily, but for mine, I had to make it a HEA.

      Delete
  3. I love this story. I've lost a fiance and a child, and this gives me a HEA, too!

    Well done. I was on the edge of the laptop, reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you got a HEA.

      Delete